Located at the foothills of the Himalayan mountains, Chandigarh is the first planned city of the twentieth century India. It was designed by the well-known French architect Le Corbusier in the year 1950 and became symbolic of the newly independent India. The city is divided into various sectors which are connected to each other but have their own parks, schools, shopping complexes and recreational facilities. The infrastructure development and ongoing urbanisation makes it one of the most preferred cities to relocate in India. If you are planning a visit to the City Beautiful, read on to know about the must visit attractions, best accommodation options and things to do in Chandigarh to make your trip an unforgettable one:
Must Visit Attractions in Chandigarh:
- Rock Garden: Spread over 40 acres, this garden is beautifully designed with more than 5000 pieces of art. The unique thing about this park is that it is made from urban and industrial and urban waste. It is one of the most attractive tourist places where one can come with family and enjoy a fun picnic.
- Sukhna Lake: If you are a nature lover, you will surely have a great time at this scenic spot. The stunning lake spreads over 3 km and is home to a variety of birds including Siberian duck. Come here and you can indulge in fun activities like boating, water skiing and fishing.
- Thunder Zone: Counted among the best amusement parks in north India, Thunder Zone promises a day full of fun and adventure. It is spread over 12 acres and has many thrilling rides and a water park with as many as 4 pools. This place is a perfect getaway for a family outing where kids will surely have a great time.
- Government Museum and Art Gallery: This museum displays a praiseworthy collection of miniature paintings, traditional artefacts, stone sculptures, decorative art pieces and much more. If you want to learn about the rich history of our country, this museum is worth visiting.
Besides these attractions, there are many other places that are worth adding to your itinerary. These include Leisure Valley, Mohali Cricket Stadium, Sector 17 market, Garden of Fragrance, Hibiscus Garden, Pinjore Garden, Shanti Kunj, ISKCON Temple, Butterfly Park, Fun City and Gandhi Museum.
Things To do in Chandigarh:
- Escape into nature at the Leisure Valley: If you want to spend some time amidst nature, Leisure Valley is the best place to be at. Long walks, jogging, leisurely stroll- the place is just perfect to spend some relaxing time in the lap of nature. There are many other scenic gardens where you can witness nature’s beauty in its true sense.
- Savour delicious delicacies: Chandigarh is the place to enjoy the real taste of Punjab. You can savour authentic Punjabi cuisine at the best restaurants of the city. Baluchi, OKO, Chilli and Pepper are some of the best places to enjoy a great dining experience.
- Go on a shopping spree: Chandigarh is a paradise for all those who love shopping. Elante Mall and Sector 17 are the best places where you can shop till you drop. From amazing handicrafts and junk jewellery to clothing, shoes and electronics, you’ll find just everything at the local stores, high end brand stores and boutiques at these places.
Places to Stay
Chandigarh welcomes tourists from across the country. To make sure that all tourists enjoy a great stay in the city, there are many luxury resorts and hotels that promise a comfortable stay. Top five star hotels in Chandigarh like The LaLiT Chandigarh are a preferred choice among tourists. Equipped with world class facilities and amenities, these hotels offer a luxurious stay in the City Beautiful. The well designed rooms, soothing ambience, delicious food and exceptional hospitality at these hotels makes the trip to Chandigarh all the more memorable.